Melissa's Blog

Sunday, May 21, 2006

I saw Cirque du Soleil last night in le Grande Chapiteau at Landsdown Park. It was AMAZING... unlike anything I could ever describe or you could ever imagine.

You can check out a video here http://www.cirquedusoleil.com/CirqueDuSoleil/en/showstickets/quidam/clip/clip.htm?v=64133FA455CB4CF382E792B2D25F91C9MH
but it doesn't do it justice. You really have to be there to believe it.

The show combines gymnastics, acrobatics, yoga, tai chi, skipping and cheerleading with fantastic costumes and erie music. These guys really defy gravity throughout the show.

The skipping scene was incredible, at one point a guy was skipping double-dutch and within that normal rope as well. I can't really describe it anymore than that (except to say that I never imagined a childhood game of jumprope could be relegated to this level), but here is the pic they provide on the website.









These ladies were also quite outstanding, they did a bunch of stuff with hoola-hoops suspended in the air. At one pointed they were hanging 15 feet in the air with the hoola-hoops between their neck and shoulders as their only support. I can't imagine the type of strength these performers have...





I wish I could better describe the show, but quiet honestly, I have no words to adequately describe it. The Cirque performers defy gravity and will absolutely take your breath away. They are in Ottawa from May 18th until June 25th, and while the shows are expensive (between $55 and $120), it was worth every penny.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home