Melissa's Blog

Sunday, June 11, 2006

A little bit of drama last night here at the trailer park - oops I mean apartment. hehe.

We recently had some new people move onto the floor, bringing with them their loud children (who then bring with them their loud friends). All the loud kids love partying in the hallway and making a tonne of noise. It's annoying because for the past two years almost this has been such a nice, quiet, non-smelly floor.

Anyways, last night they were just going crazy, for like 2 hours, running up and down the hall, being rambuncious and causing a lot of commotion. I try not to be a mean neighbour, but by 10:30 I was annoyed and decided to call in a complaint to emergency services.

I was JUST hanging up the phone when the noise in the hallway came to a crashing halt and I though to myself "...damn, of course they would leave now!" I was a little early in assuming that they left willingly however, as the next second (literally) the fire alarm started going off.

I don't usually go outside for fire alarms, it's too much hassel and usually there is no fire. My exception is if I smell smoke, of course if I smell smoke I am going to leave. So I just stayed in my apartment comforting a scared Pumpkin and thinking about the connection there probably was between the loud partying kids, the silence, and then the alarm. It was a long alarm tho, so eventually I wandered out into the hall to see what was going on from the window looking over the front of the building.

The second I stepped outside I noticed that the whole hallway was filled with a smoky white haze, and although it didn't smell like smoke, my other rule is that if I can SEE smoke in the hallway, it's best to evacuate (if the stairwells aren't smoky too). So, I trudged back to my apartment to get on suitable shoes and clothing.

By the time I got back out, a few other tennants were wandering around the halls trying to figure out what was going on. One of them headed down to the fire extinguisher area, where the door was open and the white haze seemed strongest. He assessed that the kids had been fooling around and set off the fire extinguisher which, probably linked to the alarm, set off the alarm. Freaked out by the alarm and knowing they would get in big trouble if they were caught, the whole bunch hi-tailed it out of there.

We waited as security and three cute firefighters trudged up the steps and investigated. I filed a report with the security girl and promised to call in any loud behaviour right away next time to get the problem solved. I don't like wearing my mean neighbour hat, but I have to admit, I do it well when I have to.

By this time it was about 11:30 and it took me quite a while to fall back asleep. I was super annoyed when I was woken up by the same kids an hour later at 12:30. I called security again, but the kids didn't stay around long enough to be caught.

That's ok... It's only a matter of time.... I'll keep you posted.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home